Anchored at the NUS Institute of Data Science, the Grab-NUS AI Lab will leverage data from the Grab platform to solve complex, real-world challenges in Southeast Asia. Having facilitated billions of rides in Southeast Asia, Grab’s vast troves of data can provide deeper insights into how cities across Southeast Asia move today. Through the use of AI algorithms, Grab’s wealth of data can bring forth meaningful insights, such as building richer maps, understanding passengers’ preference, modelling of traffic conditions, analysing driver behaviour and detecting real-time traffic events.
By combining the data with NUS’ R&D expertise in the field of AI, and under the supervision of senior Grab research scientists and NUS faculty members, the Grab-NUS AI Lab will map out traffic patterns and identify ways to directly impact mobility and liveability of cities across Southeast Asia.
The Grab-NUS AI Lab will also play an important role in developing local AI talents. Post-doctoral research scientists, as well as PhD students enrolled in NUS under EDB’s Industrial Postgraduate Programme, will have the opportunity to work off real-life data from Grab, and hone their data analytics and AI skills by addressing real-world challenges and creating smart solutions for urban transportation in Singapore, Asia and the world.
The Grab-NUS AI Lab was officially launched on 18 July 2018. It is located in the innovation 4.0 building situated on the NUS Kent Ridge campus. Led by renowned NUS professors, together with senior Grab research scientists, the projects include:
- Passenger AI: Researchers will develop algorithms to understand passengers’ needs and preferences to serve passengers with smarter personalised transportation services;
- Driver AI: Algorithms will be developed to gather insights on drivers’ preferences and behaviours to improve drivers’ proficiency and ensure safe journeys;
- Traffic AI: Researchers will develop algorithms to detect traffic events and predict urban traffic flow based on insights on the local traffic.
- Location AI: Richer maps will be developed for accurate localisation and modelling of points-of-interests to better deliver transportation services.
- Grab-in-Motion Transportation AI Platform: A robust AI platform will be developed for large-scale machine learning and visual analytics to process massive transportation data and create novel AI applications.
We have multiple postdoctoral data scientist openings for the Grab-NUS AI Lab anchored at the Institute of Data Science at National University of Singapore.
Multiple Postdoctoral Data Scientist Positions for Grab-NUS AI Lab(Updated on: 24 September 2018)
- Grab (http://www.grab.com/sg/) is Southeast Asia’s leading on-demand transportation platform. The Grab-NUS AI Lab aims to solve transportation challenges with intelligent insights and innovative services enabled by rigorous research in AI and data science.
- The lab will focus on five key areas: passengers, drivers, traffic, locations, and big data AI platform. We will develop big data-driven machine-learning algorithms to predict and meet the needs of both the passengers and drivers, as well as to model and understand the city’s traffic and its locations better. The lab will also develop a state-of-the-art real-time visual and analytics AI platform to deploy the algorithms on big data.
- The successful candidate(s) will conduct advance research on AI and data science in one the five focus areas mentioned above, led by distinguished professors from NUS’ Computing Department together with experienced data scientists from Grab.
- PhD in Computer Science or related field, with specialization related to data mining, machine learning, or databases;
- Publications in top-tier conferences in Data Mining, Machine Learning, Databases and other relevant areas;
- Prior research experience in transportation data analytics would be a plus;
- Proficiency in large-scale programming systems for big data and AI;
- Good oral and written skills in English;
- Experienced in working in a team, with people of diverse skillsets, including industry end-users;
- Passionate in working with developers and users to get solutions into use.
The appointment will be for two years. Selected candidates will be offered with attractive/competitive salaries and benefits. If interested, please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.